First Lutheran Church
1212 Minneapolis Ave.
A congregation of the Northern Great Lakes Synod. Evangelical Lutheran Church in America, First Lutheran Church welcomes you!! Committed to proclaiming, teaching, celebrating, and living the gospel of Jesus Christ, First Lutheran is a vibrant and caring group of people who are pleased to have you join us for worship, or to become part of our community of faith.
So, just what are Lutherans all about?
A Lutheran is:
· A member of the larger body of Christ including all followers of Jesus (Catholics, Methodists, Baptists, non-affiliated, etc.)
· Completely reliant on the grace of God for salvation
· Baptized once for the forgiveness of sin and regularly receives the sacrament of Holy Communion
· Claimed by God, marked with the cross of Christ and sealed with the Holy Spirit
· A servant within his/her family, church and community
A Lutheran believes:
· There is one God made known in three persons: Father, Son and Holy Spirit.
· God the Father created and sustains all things.
· In the person of Jesus God came into our world in order to bring us salvation. Through Jesus’ death on the cross and resurrection God has freed us from sin and guilt, and has brought the promise of new life.
· God’s Holy Spirit continues to walk with us in our daily lives, calling us to faith, nurturing us as we grow in our faith, and renewing us each day.
· The Bible is the inspired word of God.
· The Bible tells the story of God’s relationship with God’s people.
· The Bible is not a rule book but a “living word” that calls us to radical change.
· All people have worth and dignity because we are all created in God’s image. Nonetheless, each of us falls victim to our human weakness and to our sinful nature. We reject God, we choose to follow our own path, and by our own power, we are unable to find life and salvation.
· God’s unconditional love for us gives us freedom to be honest about our doubts, our fears, and our failures as well as our joys and successes.
· We are accepted before God not because of anything we do but simply by our trust in God.
· We are saved by grace through faith (Galatians 2:15-16).
· We experience God’s saving action in Holy Baptism.
· In Baptism we are also called to be disciples of Jesus, and through the presence of the Holy Spirit, we are empowered each day in our service and our witness.
· And each day we are being saved through the work of the Holy Spirit!
What Must a Person Do to Become a Christian?
Jesus said, ” Those who believe in me, even though they die, will live, and everyone who lives and believes in me will never die.” (John 11:25-26)
What Must a Person Do to Become a Lutheran?
To become a Lutheran, only Baptism and instruction in the Christian faith is required. If you are already baptized in the name of the Father, Son and Holy Spirit, it will be necessary only to attend a membership class in a Lutheran congregation and thus signify your desire to become a part of its community. Active members of other Lutheran congregations usually need only to transfer their membership.